Musk didn’t discuss Tesla and its critical upcoming launch of the Model 3. He didn’t discuss Tesla’s controversial merger with SolarCity CorpNASDAQSCTY or the construction of Tesla’s Gigafactory. He didn’t even discuss his space flight company SpaceX or his goals of putting a man on Mars.
Instead, Musk discussed a brand new company he is starting, tentatively named the Boring Company. Here are nine things you need to know from the interview.
9 To Know
1. The Boring Company will focus on building tunnels to help solve the growing traffic problem in U.S. cities. Musk wants The Boring Company to focus on improving outdated tunneling technology.
2. Musk sees tunnels as a more realistic traffic solution than flying cars. “Obviously, I like flying cars. But it’s difficult to imagine the flying car becoming a scalable solution,” Musk explained.
3. As usual, Musk is thinking on a large scale. He intends to create a network of thousands of miles of tunnels with as many as 30 different levels for cars and high-speed trains.
4. Musk is confident all that drilling will not destabilize the ground. “The earth is so big, and we’re so small,” he said. “We are so f—ing small.”
5. Musk got the idea for his tunneling company about two months ago when he was stuck in traffic. “Traffic is driving me nuts,” he tweeted in December. “Am going to build a tunnel boring machine and just start digging.”
Traffic is driving me nuts. Am going to build a tunnel boring machine and just start digging…
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 17, 2016
6. Musk believes the construction industry is ripe for disruption. “It’s the only sector of the economy that hasn’t improved its productivity in the last 50 years,” he said.
7. The Boring Company is already digging. Almost immediately after coming up with the idea for his network of tunnels, Musk began digging…
Want to learn more about how to profit off the stock market? Or maybe you just want to be able to look sophisticated in front of your coworkers when they ask you what you are reading on your Kindle, and you’d prefer to tell them “Oh, I’m just reading a book about stock market analysis,” rather than the usual “Oh, I’m just looking at pics of my ex-girlfriend on Facebook.” For these reasons and more, check out my book, Beating Wall Street with Common Sense. I don’t have a degree in finance; I have a degree in neuroscience. You don’t have to predict what stocks will do if you can predict what traders will do and be one step ahead of them. I made a 400% return in the stock market over five years using only basic principles of psychology and common sense. Beating Wall Street with Common Sense is now available on Amazon, and tradingcommonsense.com is always available on your local internet!